AddThis Feed Button "Frequently Copied, Never Duplicated"

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Child’s Ordeal Shows Risks of Psychosis Drugs for Young

This same risk is also for teens, adults, and the elderly.  I have real concerns about these drugs because my mother was allowed to be over medicated in anti-psychotic drugs by my brother for the last six years of her life.  She had a closed head injury, she had expressive aphasia, and he refused to consider a drug profile I had obtained from a colleague at FDA.  She had no neurologist and no speech therapy.  Staff at the 5 star facility where she was housed laughed at her when I would call on the phone.  My brother ignored all of my concerns, as did the attorney (and that in itself is a story of its own), and not only the care center owned by Hyatt, but so did the State of Florida!

Child’s Ordeal Shows Dangers of Antipsychotic Drugs - NYTimes.com

OPELOUSAS, La. — At 18 months, Kyle Warren started taking a daily antipsychotic drug on the orders of a pediatrician trying to quell the boy’s severe temper tantrums.
Thus began a troubled toddler’s journey from one doctor to another, from one diagnosis to another, involving even more drugs. Autism, bipolar disorder, hyperactivity, insomnia, oppositional defiant disorder. The boy’s daily pill regimen multiplied: the antipsychotic Risperdal, the antidepressant Prozac, two sleeping medicines and one for attention-deficit disorder. All by the time he was 3.
He was sedated, drooling and overweight from the side effects of the antipsychotic medicine. Although his mother, Brandy Warren, had been at her “wit’s end” when she resorted to the drug treatment, she began to worry about Kyle’s altered personality. “All I had was a medicated little boy,” Ms. Warren said. “I didn’t have my son. It’s like, you’d look into his eyes and you would just see just blankness.”
Continue reading: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/business/02kids.html

No comments: