D. Telegraph 24.5.10 "TOXIC CHEMICALS IN SUPERMARKET LABELS"
A highly toxic chemical in the glue in some supermarket labels can seep through packaging & contaminated food, a study has found. The chemical which is in the highest category because "it poses a particularly severe risk to health" is found is some of the sticky labels of meat & veg etc. There are EU rules of what can come into contact with food but it hadn't been realised that glue could seep through packaging. The harmful chemical is 2,4,7,9-tetramethyl dec-5-yne- 4,7-diol. The study looked at 4 acrylic adhesives & the 11 compounds found in them. The research was from Zaragoza University in Spain & was published on 24 May 2010 in Royal Society of Chemistry's "Journal of Materials Chemistry." See also http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/7756221/Toxic-chemicals-from-supermarket-labels-seep-through-packaging-and-contaminate-food.html
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Adhesive Found to be Toxic to Food
The interesting thing to consider when reading this news article is that many adhesive patches used to dose medicines have similar toxic components which do absorb via the skin.