AddThis Feed Button "Frequently Copied, Never Duplicated"

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Hero to Dogs

I am a true dog lover.

I have two rescued dogs that claim me as their human companion, and one rescued cat who claims me as well.

The sad thing for me is that I found out earlier this year that I am allergic to cat and dog dander. Of course I am just hoping that once I recover from the stress of the last year and my current worries over the health of my Golden Retriever, Belle, that I clear the allergy.

But for right now I have to claim that my Hero for the Month is the following human being.
Woman finds homes for 20 once-doomed dogsDELANO, Nev., Dec. 17 (UPI) -- A Nevada woman who returned from a California trip with 27 dogs scheduled to die said she found new homes for 20 of them in just one day.

Colleen Spalioni said she traveled to Delano, Calif., to adopt only one dog from police but instead ended up taking home 27 that were scheduled for euthanasia, the Reno (Nev.) Gazette Journal reported Wednesday. She said one of the dogs died in transit and two later died at her home.

"I didn't realize so many animals were dying every day until I saw it with my own eyes," Spalioni said. She said her compassion for dogs was spiked by the death of her beloved 2-year-old pointer in November.

Spalioni said she soon realized she'd need to thin the pack after neighbors complained and she was informed of a county ordinance limiting households to three dogs.

Twenty of the dogs were adopted Monday with help from the Reno Gazette Journal's Mostly Dogs blog, leaving her with only four dogs left from her California trip, Spalioni said.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: