AddThis Feed Button "Frequently Copied, Never Duplicated"

Monday, April 04, 2011

See, It's Not Just Me About Green Tea

For many of those who have been following my work since the mid 80s, and a colleague or two over the years, there now is some additional data on risk from green tea.
We have reported on the risk of pancreatic cancer from green tea.
While I realize that most in the US go for headlines and hype rather than serious academic reporting, I am glad to have come across this data recently -
A recent study published in the journal, Biopharmaceutics & Drug disposition (Alemdaroglu et al, 2008), suggests that drinking either green or black tea may actually lower the bioavailability of folic acid. 
and
This and previous research suggests that consuming green or oolong tea is associated with lower serum folate levels in pregnant women.  Given the potential adverse effects of folate deficiency on fetal malformations such as neural tube defects, pregnant women should restrict their intake of these teas during pregnancy. This research suggests that trying to offset the effect of green tea consumption by supplementation with vitamins or dietary intake of folate may not be effective.  Pregnant women may incorrectly assume that green tea is a healthy option given its other known salutary effects.
Vitamin B9 is folate, B vitamins


Selections from 20+ posts found on Natural Health News 
Feb 03, 2011
Drinking coffee, decaf coffee, green tea or black tea was associated with a reduction in the risk of developing diabetes. For coffee, the reduction was dose-dependent, which is to say that the more coffee or tea drunk, the greater the ...
Feb 11, 2009
"We know that cancer patients look to green tea extracts among other natural supplements to complement their therapeutic regimens," Dr. Axel Schonthal, said in a statement. "We wanted to better understand how the compounds in green tea ...
Apr 01, 2008
I recall those coffee house days of my teens when I sipped well brewed high quality Oolong tea from time to time. I have to admit I enjoy it, but I limit my intake because I know the dark side of green tea. ...

No comments: