AddThis Feed Button "Frequently Copied, Never Duplicated"

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Wake Up Your Pancreas With String Beans


The Native American Remedy for Low Blood Sugar and Diabetes

By Gayle Eversole, DHom, PhD, MH, NP, ND

A project I have been working on for quite a few years, I guess going back as far as the early 1990s, is helping educate our people about preventing and assisting in the natural care of diabetes.

More than any other group of people American Indians are plagued with this dreadful disease.

When I was researching the educational program I designed when I was completing my doctoral coursework I found an interesting fact. Attributed mainly to Plains people, but not absent in tribes from other geographic areas in the Southwest and other regions, diabetes was considered somewhat of a survival mechanism.

Many traditional foods and locally found herbs have historically been helpful in the care and treatment of diabetes.

The last program I presented was at the Indian Health facility located in the Blackfeet Nation at Browning, Montana. As a gift I was given a book on the Ethnobotany of the Blackfoot Tribe. I refer to this book still today. It was a reference source while I was compiling a guide for diabetes based on natural care during The Longest Walk 3. The Diabetes Diary is that book.

A new project I am searching for support and funding is a nutrition program for Indian children to help them learn more about traditional food, traditional ways of preparing the food, and the nutrition behind the foods. If you would like to support this project, please donate here.

Now back to a bit of history.

The garden green bean we know as snap beans or string beans was a part of American Indian tribal cultivation when the Spanish and Portuguese arrived some 500 years or more ago. Along with the Jesuits the beans were taken to other parts of the world by these explorers. Today there may be more than 500 varieties of common beans.

For many years I was able to get bean pod tea and I sold it in the health store I had in Granite Falls, Washington. Then the bean pods became very hard to find so I discontinued the item even though I had many requests for it. I then provided people with information about growing their own beans and making their own tea.

These beans are full of healing nutrients. Fresh picked string beans have 41 mg of calcium, 42 mg of phosphorus, 1.14 mg of iron, 6 mg of sodium, 230 mg of potassium, 735 IU vitamin A, 40 mg folic acid (vitamin B9), 17.9 mg vitamin C, and 27 mg magnesium in one cupful.

Many of the old time natural healers used green beans in the care of people with diabetes (PWD). One of my teachers, Paavo Airola, ND, PhD, always emphasized the importance of string bean juice for anyone with diabetes. His clients drank it five times a day with their five small meals.

He believed in this because he knew of nothing that was more important in rejuvenation the spleen, liver and pancreas. His research proved that this juice stimulated the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas.

In addition to diabetes, this wonder juice can help people with alcohol dependence, uremic poisoning, and drug addiction.

Using a juicer such as the Vita Mix or any other juicer you may have, add the whole beans after washing and draining. Any part of the plant is good so don't be too fussy. Add about half a cup of water and turn the juicer on.

You can mix in some beet powder, greens powder, or some carrot powder with your String Bean juice for additional therapeutic benefits.

More about Diabetes





More of my articles may be found at leaflady.org, Natural Health News, and Rense.com.

No comments: